Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 19:49:21 +0100
From:      "Marco van de Voort" <marcov@stack.nl>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: file creation times ?

> That's not justification for putting a creation time into the UFS.
> Different filesystems store different information - depending on
> what the FS developers saw as important.  You could just as easily
> point out the deficiencies of NTFS based on it's inability to
> support all the metadata in NFS.

I know very little of filesystems, but I know that NTFS is extensible
(and supports several file strains). So probably that is not a limitation of NTFS,
but of the NT implementation of it.

E.g. Mac stuff is stored in an extra strain, extra attributes can be stored in
the MFS etc etc.  One could write a *nix NTFS driver that supported NFS
metadata.
Marco van de Voort (MarcoV@Stack.nl or marco@freepascal.org)