Date:      Tue, 16 Oct 2001 08:00:50 -0700
From:      "Mike Burgett" <mburgett@awen.com>
To:        "security@freebsd.org" <security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NIS and udp listening

Sorry if this is the wrong forum.  I've looked in the archives, and
didn't see anything about this.

I'm running NIS client/server on a 4.4-RELEASE box, and I seem to
get a udp port per server (most in the <= 1024 range, though I've
seen some higher) opened and listening:

nobody   httpd      360    5 udp4   *:968                 *:*
root     sendmail   272    4 udp4   *:973                 *:*
root     named      205   14 udp4   *:1024                *:*

When I disable NIS, this goes away.

Is this normal? Would someone please be kind enough to point me to
the FM I should be R'ing?

Thanks,
Mike