Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 1995 12:36:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      fredriks@mcs.com (Lars Fredriksen)
To:        dfr@nlsys.demon.co.uk (Doug Rabson)
Cc:        bakul@netcom.com, wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Configuration database (was Re: Changed information for PR misc/278)

Doug Rabson writes:

> Smells a lot like AIX ;-)
>
> Seriously though, I quite liked AIX sys admin after I got used to that
> funny SMIT thing.  It had basically exactly this aproach of an OO
> database from which old-style configuration files were generated.

Please don't implement this the same way AIX did. They use a binary
database with NO documented interface to support this, and if you
ever get this DB out of whack, you are in serious trouble...

Their sysadmin tool is nice for a novice sysadm, but again if your
passwd file gets corrupted, you will have a tough time figuring out
that this is the reason the tool will not do what you asked. The AIX
tool is only a harness that calls all the underlying config tools,
but it doesn't support all options to the underlying tools so you
end up having to use them afterall.

Anyway, one thing that AIX learnt is that support of diskless workstations
gets 100% more complex once you introduce such a database..

I am not saying that we shouldn't have a configuration database, only that
it has to be done carefully and well!

Lars

Lars Fredriksen		fredriks@mcs.com		(home)
			lars@fredriks.pr.mcs.net	(home-home)