Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 95 23:02:08 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        todd@water.eng.mcmaster.ca, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: support for Xircom PCMCIA Ethernet adapters?

> > Is there support for the PCMCIA Xircom Creditcard Ethernet Adapter IIPS
> > in FreeBSD-2.0, or is anyone working on implementing it?
>
> I've read somewhere that Xircom has a very restrictive copyright
> policy.  You'll perhaps be outta luck getting documentation.

If someone is interested in disassembling Xircom's code and documenting
their registers and proper programming procative from the code, then
posting that information, this would allow someone else to write a
driver without problems.

On the other hand, I have suggested many times that the loadable
kernel modules should have their loader code in the kernel, and
this is one example why: to enable demand loading in a general
case seperate from consideration of the symbol tables to enable
the loading od Novell ODI drivers for servers.  These are protected
mode driver that exist for nearly all ethernet and many token ring
and other odd cards.

That UnixWare does it proves it is possible.  Kurt Mahon has hinted
that he might be able to get some of his code for this released.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.