Date:      Sat, 04 May 1996 12:01:15 -0500
From:      Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com>
To:        Alexei Nikolaevich Romanov <alexei@albion.loach.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /compat code on -stable

> > Could someone point me to a howto on running IBCS2, Linux and perhaps
> > BSDI binaries?  I searched in the various FAQ's, Handbook, etc. and
> > can't come up with the magic.
> >
> > Thanks
>
> If you are told somehting and they don't send it to the list, would you
> mind cc-ing me?
>
> 	--Alexei

I figured this out finally. I'm CCing the list since I did not find
this information in one location, rather spread between several
different mails in the archive. My main motivation was running
Netscape, but I would also like to know what is required for IBCS2
and BSDI.

I'm running a mostly -stable system.

What I did...

* Create /compat/linux
* Install the linux_lib-1.0.tgz package found on freefall
* recompiled kernel with 'options COMPAT_LINUX' (necessary?)
* loaded the /lkm/linux_mod.o with the following:

	modstat | grep _linux || modload -u -o /tmp/linux_mod -e \
        linux_init -q /lkm/linux_mod.o

* Added the following to environment (/etc/profile)

RESOLV_HOST_CONF=/compat/linux/etc/host.conf;   export RESOLV_HOST_CONF
XKEYSYMDB=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XKeysymDB;         export XKEYSYMDB
XNLSPATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/nls;                export XNLSPATH
XAPPLRESDIR=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/app-defaults;    export XAPPLRESDIR

* Added the following to /compat/linux/etc/host.conf
order   hosts, bind

* Installed nls.dir from Netscape distribution

Gotchas along the way....

* I had to remove the Linux ELF support that I had been using with
  NetBSD. I assume that I cannot run Linux ELF under FreeBSD.

* Netscape got EOT with the nls.dir that I had been using from R6.
  Known problem, but did not seem to bother it on NetBSD.

* Figuring out syntax to modload LKMs