Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:40:23 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>, "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>, Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: MGR and libvgl

> > hammer out something like this, it would be a big win IMHO. Not that I
> > like the X protocol (I don't know it too well either), but the concept is
> > sound and proved useful (at least in case of X).
>   It is such a good idea that Microsoft will releasing "Microsoft Terminal
> Services" for NT shortly!  This is technology absorbed from Citrix.
> Product was originally called Winframe I believe.  The idea is to have a
> central NT server with gobs of CPUs and memory, and desktops just run a
> thin terminal client.  Citrix was claiming that their thin client could
> run on a 286 with 1MB of RAM...
>   And people thought that era of mainframes and centralized computing was
> dead!
Mmmm, and you should see the list of software which doesn't like running in
Winframe because they assume they 'own' the machine <sigh>
Its neat, but its still not as good as X =)
(Of course X on a 286 would be a tad hard, but nonetheless..)

|Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer for Genesis Software |
|http://www.gsoft.com.au                                            |
|The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to|
|choose from. -- Andrew Tanenbaum                                   |