Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 1996 21:39:43 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Cc:        erich@lodgenet.com (Eric L. Hernes)
Subject:   Re: Bootable CD roms

As Eric L. Hernes wrote:

> I understood that the bios would search the CD-ROM for the El Torito
> signature before considering booting.

Yep, no problem.

> Stop me if I'm wrong here, but here's what I was expecting
> (following the 4-page thing):

Thou shalt not follow it. :)

> 1) take boot.flp, or any bootable (FBSD) floppy
> 2) create BVD.BIN and BOOTCAT.BIN with dd, emacs, beav, mkisofs, whatever...
> 3) rename boot.flp OSBOOT.IMG

Nah, we've got the sources.  The above really only obfuscates things,
it's better to put this into `biosboot', or create a new boot subdir
for `cdboot'.

> >No need to hack mkisofs in the first place.  We do already have the
> >tool to merge the bootcode into an existing isofs.  It's called dd(1).

We perhaps need to tweak it, btw., since we are required to create a
``boot record volume descriptor'' which must follow the ``primary
volume descriptor''.

> Well, a simple hack.  It looks like the spec wants
> `EL TORITO SPECIFICATION' in place of `FreeBSD' in the BVD.BIN
> amongst placing the proper links and stuff on the iso9660.

Nope, you're confusing the primary volume descriptor (where all the
optional strings go to) with the (not yet existent) boot record volume
descriptor.  I haven't looked yet, but i assume that the current isofs
layout from mkisofs(1) has just the primary volume descriptor,
immediately followed by the terminate volume descriptor.

--
cheers, J"org