Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 14:15:39 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@www.svzserv.kemerovo.su>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@chez.McKusick.COM>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.5-STABLE softupdates brokeness: repeated panics and lockups

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 10:39:11PM -0800, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > No. It crashed again twice till now, but this time it could restart
> > automatically. But now kernel panics are due page faults.
> Check CPU cooling and RAM.  Page faults are usually caused by these.
> Not always, but you should rule it out.

I've just checked coolers, both of CPU and power supply unit.
All run as usual and stop any if I turn off the power supply.

The RAM... I'm not sure I know The Right Way.
It's production server, however, it is not heavily loaded, especially today.

I tried memetest from ports as root, it could allocate 55M of RAM.

(Why? This machine has two 128M banks of RAM. And during the tests
top shows '65M Free', I started memtest 135M 1 --log.)

memtest passed all tests one time with no errors.
This hardware worked just fine till last world upgrade.

Eugene Grosbein