Date:      07 Mar 2001 12:03:39 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        dawes@freebsd.org
Subject:   DRI drivers in base system?

DRI support for FreeBSD in XFree86 4 is languishing, probably mainly
due to being maintained outside the FreeBSD source tree, and therefore
having all kinds of trouble keeping track of our fast-moving kernel.

I am in the process of bringing the KLDs up to date with -CURRENT
(using the sources in the 4.0.2 distribution - I haven't finished
cvsupping the repo yet). I think I'm about 80% to 90% done - found
some bugs in the process, too :)

I won't belabour the obvious by explaining how having this code in the
FreeBSD source tree would benefit both FreeBSD and XFree86.

The total self-contained source for the KLDs (drm, gamma, mga, tdfx)
weighs in at slightly less than 400k. The compiled KLDs range from 20k
to 70k w/o debugging symbols.

(note that this does not replace the 3dfx driver we already have - our
3dfx driver is for Glide, not for XFree86 - but there's a conflict
because the 3dfx driver calls itself tdfx internally, which means the
kernel can't differentiate between 3dfx and tdfx; this is easily fixed
by changing the internal name of one or the other)

DES (can't wait to see AlephOne run with 3D acceleration...)
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org