Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 10:51:44 -0800
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        Mark Gladman <mark@fantoma.net>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Err.. to be honest, I'm not sure what to put here.

On Thursday 19 December 2002 06:48 am, Mark Gladman wrote:

> And am pretty much wondering.. well.. have I missed anything? :)
> It seems like I can do pretty much anything.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Unix! Yes, you can do pretty much anything.

What makes it work is the Unix philosophy that FreeBSD in its wisdom has
decided to keep. Some stuff is going to be hard, some extremely hard. But you
can do just about everything with it.

First, the user is King, not the vendor. Stuff is not hidden away from you.
This means that you are expected to read the fine manual and other
documentation. It's also what makes it daunting for the new user.

Second, FreeBSD/Unix is composed of many small parts that can fit together
however you want them. It's absurd to think that a vendor can foresee all
possible uses of their software, so the Unix philosophy is to not pretend
that it's possible. Instead, Unix has software that flexible enough to cover
even the unforeseen uses.

David