Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 11:58:04 +0900
From:      Hanai Hiroyuki <hanai@astec.co.jp>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu
Cc:        asami@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: more on Japanese handbook

From: John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>:
> Aaahhhhhh!!   Okay, I'll try and keep this from getting burried.

Sorry to bother you.
I think I can give you our(japanese docmentation group's) idea in a few
weeks.

> > output (plus mime and...).  Since we only need EUC->JIS conversion, it
> > can be done with a 10-line (or so) C program.
>
> The conversion would be (probably) be done in sgmlfmt, which is
> perl, so a perl solution (probably two lines?) would be better.

I agree with you. The conversion should be done in sgmlfmt.
It is easy to make a perl subroutine that converts the encoding of
given string to any one specified and I can send you such subroutine.
Or I think you can easily write such subroutine because you've already
read the book about Japanese Information Processing.

> It could be activated by a command line switch (-jis), or
> possibly auto-detect.

I prefer command line switch because if we consider the I18N,
it will be impossible to distinguish in which language the text
is written(Japanese? or Chinese? or Korean? ...) with auto-detection method.

-----H.Hanai