Date:      Tue, 22 Jul 1997 21:55:38 -0400
From:      "Kevin P. Neal" <kpneal@pobox.com>
To:        Robin Cutshaw <robin@intercore.com>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Its arrived

At 02:49 PM 7/22/97 -0400, Robin Cutshaw wrote:
>On Tue, Jul 22, 1997 at 10:06:24AM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>>
>> Installing NetBSD would probably not be a bad idea at all, though if
>> you're looking for an environment from which to bootstrap your efforts
>> (that being why there are 2 drives in those machines with only one
>> actually populated :-) then you're probably best off with what you've
>> got installed on it right now - Digital UNIX.  DUX is a stable
>> development platform, it has a decent toolchain (and a compiler which
>> generally produces better code that gcc at present) and all the X
>> frobs you could possibly want (plus some you probably won't, like CDE :-).

Have fun compiling GNU stuff. I ran into no end of troubles, and I
no newbie at compiling stuff.

>If you want a *real* stable X, use DUX.  I did parts of the Linux-alpha
>port and the servers are a real #$%^& to get working.  XFree86 is
>mostly working now but there are still some glitches here and there.

I've got a Sun 3/110 + color monitor, netbooting from a NetBSD/Alpha box.
It works fine for me.
--
XCOMM Kevin P. Neal, Junior, Comp. Sci.     -   House of Retrocomputing
XCOMM  mailto:kpneal@pobox.com              -   http://www.pobox.com/~kpn/