Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2023 19:00:33 -0400
From:      Kurt Hackenberg <kh@panix.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HOME as ~ in default PATH inherited from /etc/login.conf doesn't work for tcsh

On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 01:55:46PM +0000, Jackie J wrote:

>However, I found that ~/bin in my PATH won't work in tcsh as it got
>"command not found" error, I have to use something like $HOME/bin or
>hard-code like /home/myusername/bin. Apparently ~ was not interpreted.
>I checked and it seemed that I got this setting from /etc/login.conf
>(part shown here):
>
>default:\
>        :passwd_format=sha512:\
>        :copyright=/etc/COPYRIGHT:\
>        :welcome=/var/run/motd:\
>        :setenv=BLOCKSIZE=K:\
>        :mail=/var/mail/$:\
>        :path=/sbin /bin /usr/sbin /usr/bin /usr/local/sbin
>/usr/local/bin ~/bin:\

I use ~/bin that way, and it's interpreted -- it shows up as
/home/myusername/bin in the environment variable PATH.

/etc/login.conf (and ~/.login.conf) have to be converted into databases
by cap_mkdb(1).  That's documented in the man page login.conf(5) --
documented eventually, down a page or so.  Is that database present, in
/etc/login.conf.db?