Date:      Fri, 18 Jan 2002 20:55:55 -0800
From:      Jim Mock <jim@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chris Costello <chris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Murray Stokely <murray@freebsdmall.com>, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: splitting FAQ ch. 9

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 at 21:12:13 -0600, Chris Costello wrote:
> On Thursday, January 17, 2002, Murray Stokely wrote:
> >   Should more of this stuff be in the Handbook, instead of the FAQ?
> > It makes a lot of sense to split up the Handbook into multiple
> > books once it gets too large (as it already is), but I think the
> > FAQ should be much smaller and easier to read through.
>
>    My personal opinion is that any relevant information should be
> mined from the FAQ and put into the Handbook, and the rest should
> be blown away in favor of a newly-compiled FAQ.

I agree with Chris here.  Much of the info in the FAQ can be shoved into
the handbook in either existing chapters or new chapters.  I'll try to
make some time to go through the FAQ and see what can be split out
sometime this weekend (won't happen tonight since I'll be going out the
door shortly -- possibly tomorrow or Sunday).

One thing we could do for history's sake is link stuff from the FAQ to
the handbook after it's moved.  For example:

   Q:  How do I do <foo>?
   A:  This is covered in Chapter X of the handbook.

Although that assumes we're not going to "start over" with the FAQ
(which I don't really think is a bad idea to begin with...).

- jim

--
jim mock <mij@soupnazi.org>   http://soupnazi.org/ | jim@FreeBSD.org