Date:      Fri, 13 Jan 1995 09:03:00 -0600
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it
Subject:   Re:  About readonly root partition

>  In the interest of better support for diskless and in general for
>  multiple installations, it seems to me that it would be nice if
>  /etc were *not* on the same filesystem as root, but rather in /var or
>  some other location, so that each machine can have its own copy.

IMHO this should be a local change not a distributed change. Also IMHO, we
should push for DATALESS environments and discourage DISKLESS enviroments.
disks are far too cheap to have a 40-60 meg drive for boot,swap,tmp,parts of
var to save the network which will be saturated with the applications as it is.

before you say it is too hard to upgrade software, the little that is not
network mounted already can very easily and quickly installed on multiple
machines using a rrestore from images.

--mark "the broken reconf on this topic"