Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 12:37:13 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Fraud (was: Rejecting spam, accepting valid mail (was: Mail blocked))
References:  <4.3.2.7.2.20020307094130.01f59240@nospam.lariat.org> <4.3.2.7.2.20020306234510.01ee0180@nospam.lariat.org> <4.3.2.7.2.20020306234510.01ee0180@nospam.lariat.org> <4.3.2.7.2.20020307094130.01f59240@nospam.lariat.org> <3cg03ccef4.03c@localhost.localdomain> <4.3.2.7.2.20020307221616.00cb9980@nospam.lariat.org> <20020308190102.B679@sydney.worldwide.lemis.com> <d1lmd1dwzm.md1@localhost.localdomain>

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

On Saturday,  9 March 2002 at 17:37:01 -0800, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
> Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG> writes:
>
>> I use a number of techniques to reject spam.  It's fairly clear that
>> an invalid server name can be construed in a number of ways:
>>
>> 1.  An attempt to defraud:
>>
>>     In:  EHLO localhost.localdomain
>>     Out: 250-wantadilla.lemis.com
>>     Out: 250-PIPELINING
>>     Out: 250-SIZE 10240000
>>     Out: 250-ETRN
>>     Out: 250 8BITMIME
>>     In:  MAIL From:<grados_julio@hotmail.com> SIZE=1790
>>     Out: 250 Ok
>>     In:  RCPT To:<yvonne@lemis.com>
>>     Out: 450 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [211.23.186.108]
>>
>>     This one is clearly spam.
>
> If "clearly" means "very likely", then yes.  Few would blame you for
> not worrying about the other, more unlikely cases.
>
> I assume that the above is not a personal accusation, but allow me
> to warn about the easily misused word "defraud", given that libel
> juries can more accurately judge the inference than the implication.
>
>   defraud, tr.v., To take from or deprive of by fraud; to swindle.

Well, that's one of many definitions, and it's incomplete, since it
doesn't define what fraud is.  The Oxford English Dictionary lists a
total of 5 meanings of the word "defraud", one of which is:

  1. c. absol. To act with or employ fraud.

It finds ten meanings for the word "fraud", including:

  3. a. An act or instance of deception, an artifice by which the
     right or interest of another is injured, a dishonest trick or
     stratagem.

I think this is pretty much what this kind of spammer does.

I'm attaching the complete entries for your amusement.  Sorry about
the emetic format.  It's clear to me at any rate that any legal
interpretation by a US court is pretty irrelevant.

Greg

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

            Entry printed from Oxford English Dictionary
            (c) Oxford University Press 1999

            fraud, n.

            (frO;d) Forms: 4_6 fraude, frawd(e, 4_ fraud. [a. OF.
            fraude, ad. L. fraude-m (fraus) deceit, injury.]

               1. The quality or disposition of being deceitful;
            faithlessness, insincerity. Now rare.

               ?a1400 Morte Arth. 3919 Alle for falsede, and frawde.
            c1430 Lydg. Min. Poems 162 Fle doubilnesse, fraud, and
            collusioun.  1508 Dunbar Twa mariit wemen 255, I semyt
            sober, and sueit, et sempill without fraud.  1599 Shakes.
            Much Ado ii. iii. 74 The fraud of men was euer so.  1672
            Marvell Corr. Wks. 1872_5 II. 408, I do not believe there
            is any fraud in him.  1718 Hickes & Nelson J. Kettlewell
            ii. xxvi. 128 A Person of Simplicity without Fraud.  1827
            Macaulay Machiav. Ess. (1854) 36 Vices+which are the
            natural defence of weakness, fraud and hypocrisy.
               personified. 1606 Dekker Sev. Sinnes ii. (Arb.) 21
            Frawd (with two faces) is his Daughter.  1790 Burke Fr.
            Rev. Wks. V. 88 The discredited paper securities of
            impoverished fraud, and beggared rapine.

               2. a. Criminal deception; the using of false
            representations to obtain an unjust advantage or to
            injure the rights or interests of another.

               c1330 R. Brunne Chron. (1810) 128 In alle manere cause
            he sought te right in skille, To gile no to fraude wild
            he neuer tille.  1382 Wyclif Mark x. 19 Do no fraude,
            worschipe thi fadir and modir.  1570 B. Googe Pop. Kingd.
            i. (1880) 7 But safely keepes that he hath long, with
            frawde and lying got.  1667 Milton P.L. i. 646 To work in
            close design, by fraud or guile, What force effected not.
            1726_7 Swift Gulliver i. vi. 67 They look upon fraud as a
            greater crime than theft.  1829 Lytton Devereux iii. iii,
            Fraud has been practised.

               b. in Law. in fraud of, to the fraud of: so as to
            defraud; also, to the detriment or hindrance of.

               [1278 Stat. Glouc. 6 Edw. I, c. 11 Ou par collusiun ou
            par fraude pur fere le termer perdre sun terme.  1292
            Britton i. ii. S11 Ne nule manere de fraude.]  1590
            Swinburne Testaments 151 The condition is reiected, as
            being made in fraude of mariage.  1596 Spenser State

            Irel. Wks. (Globe) 622/2 The same Statutes+are
            often+wrested to the fraud of the subject.  1845 Stephen
            Comm. Laws Eng. (1874) II. 268 And shall not have
            deposited or invested in fraud of his creditors.  1848
            Wharton Law Lex., Fraud, all deceitful practices in
            defrauding or endeavouring to defraud another of his
            known right, by means of some artful device, contrary to
            the plain rule of common honesty.

               3. a. An act or instance of deception, an artifice by
            which the right or interest of another is injured, a
            dishonest trick or stratagem.

               c1374 Chaucer Boeth. i. pr. iv. 9 (Camb. MS.) The
            iustice Regal hadde whilom demed hem bothe to gon into
            exil for hir trecheryes and fraudes.  c1440 York Myst.
            xxxiii. 131 If _e feyne slike frawdis.  1526 Pilgr. Perf.
            (W. de W. 1531) 10b, Moo than a thousande wayes he hath
            by his craftly fraudes to deceyue man.  1691 Hartcliffe
            Virtues 317 The Pharisees+made great shews of Piety, to
            cover their Frauds and Rapines.  1751 Johnson Rambler No.
            126 34 Declaiming against the frauds of any employment.
            1836 J. Gilbert Chr. Atonem. iii. (1852) 72 The fraud of
            imputing guilt to a known innocent being.  1852 C. M.
            Yonge Cameos II. xxix. 312 Most of the Dauphin's
            followers gloried in their successful fraud and murder.

               b. in Law. statute of frauds: the statute 29 Chas. II,
            c. 3, by which written memoranda were in many cases
            required to give validity to a contract.

               1678 Act 29 Chas. II, c. 3 title, An Act for
            Prevention of Frauds and Perjuries.  1765 Blackstone
            Comm. i. 362 The frauds, naturally consequent upon this
            provision+produced [etc.].  1827 Jarman Powell's Devises
            II. 29 Which prevents the statute of Frauds from being a
            bar.  1858 Ld. St. Leonards Handy-bk. Prop. Law vii. 38
            An instance of what is deemed a sufficient fraud to
            enable equity to relieve.

               c. pious fraud: a deception practised for the
            furtherance of what is considered a good object; esp. for
            the advancement of religion.

               [1563_87 Foxe A. & M. (1684) III. 898 Their accustomed
            lies, which they term Fraudes pieuses, pious beguilings.]
            1678 Cudworth Intell. Syst. 319 There is too much cause
            to suspect that there have been some Pious Frauds
            practised upon these Trismegistick Writings.  1712

            Addison Spect. No. 419 35 Pious Frauds were made use of
            to amuse Man~kind.  1855 Milman Lat. Chr. (1864) II. iii.
            vii. 143 The pious fraud of a nurse who had substituted
            her own child for the youngest of the Emperor.
               transf. 1868 Lowell Willows xxi, May is a pious fraud
            of the almanac, A ghastly parody of real Spring.

               4. a. A method or means of defrauding or deceiving; a
            fraudulent contrivance; in mod. colloq. use, a spurious
            or deceptive thing.

               1658 Sir T. Browne Hydriot. 35 They had an happy fraud
            against excessive lamentation, by a common opinion that
            deep sorrows disturbed their ghosts.  1697 Dryden Virg.
            Georg. iv. 575 Surprize him first, and with hard Fetters
            bind; Then all his Frauds will vanish into Wind.  1725
            Pope Odyss. iv. 597 New from the corse, the scaly frauds
            diffuse Unsavoury stench of oil.  1782 Cowper Progr. Err.
            17 Not all+Can+Discern the fraud beneath the specious
            lure.  1880 McCarthy Own Times III. 5 Many persons
            persisted in believing that his supposed suicide was but
            another fraud.  1890 L. B. Walford Mischief of Monica i,
            The whole place is a fraud+we can't live in a villa.

               b. colloq. of a person: One who is not what he appears
            to be; an impostor, a humbug; spec. U.S. (see quot.
            1895).

               1850 Dickens Reprinted Pieces (1866) 120 The begging-
            letter writer is one of the most shameless frauds and
            impositions of this time.  1885 F. B. Van Voorst Without
            a Compass 12, I had called him an old fraud.  1895
            Standard Dict., Fraud+specifically+a person, firm, or
            corporation declared by the Postmaster-general+to be
            engaged in obtaining money by means of false or
            fraudulent pretenses, [etc.]+and therefore debarred from
            obtaining payment of money-orders or the delivery of
            registered letters.

               _5. By Milton used in passive sense (as L. fraus):
            State of being defrauded or deluded.

               1667 Milton P.L. ix. 643 So glister'd the dire Snake,
            and into fraud Led Eve.  1671 I P.R. i. 373 To all his
            Angels he proposed To draw the proud king Ahab into
            fraud, That he might fall in Ramoth.

               6. Comb., as fraud squad; _fraud-doing vbl. n.;
            _fraud-wanting adj.; fraud order U.S., an official order
            prohibiting the delivery of letters to a firm or
            individual suspected of making illegal use of the postal
            service.

               1382 Wyclif Dan. xi. 21 He+shal weelde the rewme in
            *fraude doynge.

              1905 Calkins & Holden Art Mod. Advertising 258 It is
            often impossible to prosecute the advertisers, and the
            most the post-office department can do is to issue what
            is known as a *fraud order. Such an order peremptorily
            and without redress stops the mail of the advertiser.
            1931 C. Kelly U.S. Postal Policy 150 Under a `fraud
            order' all mail directed to such persons or company is
            stamped `Fraudulent' on the outside and returned to the
            sender.

              1967 Economist 7 Jan. 49/2 There is also the *Fraud
            Squad, of gallant lay policemen undertaking
            (astonishingly well under the circumstances) inquiries
            that need the most sophisticated legal and financial
            expertise.  1971 Times 27 Sept. 3/3 Post Office
            investigators and members of Scotland Yard's Fraud Squad
            are searching for a gang of expert forgers.

              1600 Nashe Summer's Last Will F4 *Fraud-wanting
            honestie.

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA

            Entry printed from Oxford English Dictionary
            cOxford University Press 1999

            defraud, v.

            (dI"frO;d) [a. OF. defrauder (des-, def-, dif-), 14th c.
            in Godef., ad. L. dUfraudQre, f. de- I. 3 + fraudQre to
            cheat, f. fraus, fraud-em, deceit, fraud.]

               1. To deprive (a person) by fraud of what is his by
            right, either by fraudulently taking or by dishonestly
            withholding it from him; to cheat, cozen, beguile. Const.
            of (_from).

               1362 Langl. P. Pl. A. viii. 71 He tat begget+bote he
            habbe neode+defraudet te neodi.  14+ Epiph. in Tundale's
            Vis. (1843) 104 They+thanked God with all her hartis
            furst Whech hathe not defrawded hem of her lust.  1474
            Caxton Chesse 98 To defraude the begiler is no fraude.
            1555 Eden Decades 39 He had+defrauded the kynge of his
            portion.  1634 Sir T. Herbert Trav. 46 This poore Citie,
            was defrauded of her hopes.  Ibid. 217, I will a little
            defraude the Reader from concluding with a few lines
            touching the first Discoverer.  1752 Johnson Rambler No.
            199 37 To defraud any man of his due praise is unworthy
            of a philosopher.  1838 Emerson Addr. Camb., Mass. Wks.
            (Bohn) II. 198 Whenever the pulpit is usurped by a
            formalist, then is the worshipper defrauded.  1880 E.
            Kirke Garfield 39 We who defraud four million citizens of
            their rights.

               _b. with direct and indirect object. Obs.

               1382 Wyclif Luke xix. 8 If I haue ony thing defraudid
            ony man I _elde the fourefold.  1600 Holland Livy iv.
            xii. 148 Defrauding servants a portion of their daily
            food.  1670 Milton Hist. Brit. vi. Harold,
            Harold+defrauded his soldiers their due+share of the
            spoils.

               c. absol. To act with or employ fraud.

               1382 Wyclif 1 Cor. vi. 8 _e don wrong and defrauden
            [1388 doen fraude] or bigilen and that to britheren.
            1611 Bible Mark x. 19 Doe not beare false witnesse,
            Defraud not.  1875 Jowett Plato (ed. 2) III. 102 If he is
            the trustee of an orphan, and has the power to defraud.

               2. fig. To deprive or cheat (a thing) of what is due
            to it; to withhold fraudulently. arch. or Obs.

               1497 Bp. Alcock Mons Perfect. Dj/3 They selle Cryst &
            defraudeth theyr relygyon.  1559 Bp. Cox in Strype Ann.
            Ref. I. vi. 98 They defrauded the payment of tithes and
            firstfruits.  1660 Boyle Seraph. Love 26 Where a direct
            and immediate expression of love to God defrauds not any
            other Duty.  1764 Goldsm. Trav. 277 Here beggar pride
            defrauds her daily cheer, To boast one splendid banquet
            once a year.  a1805 Paley (in Webster 1828), By the
            duties deserted+by the claims defrauded.

               Hence de"frauding vbl. n.

               1548 Udall, etc. Erasm. Par. 1 Cor. vii. (R.), To
            denye this right yf eyther of bothe aske it, is a
            defraudyng.  1651 Hobbes Leviath. ii. xxvii. 160 The
            robbing, or defrauding of a Private man.  1659 Gauden
            Tears of Ch. 235 Few do pay them without delayings,
            defalkings, and defraudings.

--W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA--