Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:23:31 -0400
From:      Aaron Bush <abush@microcenter.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   how to customize ports?

I am looking for the correct/propper way to customize a port (ie. change
prefix path, etc.).

Right now i have been doing something like this:
====
1) extracting the "ports/group/prog/" directory from the entire ports
tar file into /usr/

2) downloading the port source to /usr/ports/distfiles/

3) cd /usr/ports/group/prog/

4) setenv NO_DEPENDS;  make distfile;  make patch

5) view Makefile and make note of any special configure arguments.

6) cd work/program-ver/; run ./configure replacing how/where I need the
program to be compiled and I have been leaving in any special configure
args that were set in the previous Makefile.

7) Then running make or gmake (mostly gmake).

8) cd ../../ (back to /usr/ports/group/prog/); make install

* I'm not sure that the last step is correct, will this break anything?

What i really am interested in is using the preferred compile arguments
and overriding items such as install location and extra modules (Apache
and PHP4 mostly).

Thanks,
-ab