Date:      Tue, 06 Jul 1999 19:11:23 +0200
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI: Linux emulation: what, how, when, why, who, where

Mike Smith wrote:

> > Using LRPM to install D has no drawbacks that I can think of right
> > now and is the rpm by choice for the moment.
>
> I definitely agree with this.
>
> > So, why A and FRPM, I hear you say?
> >
> > Simply because FRPM is the one that is in everybodies PATH and just
> > entering something like rpm -i foobar.rpm to add a new package is what
> > I like to accomplish.
>
> If I read this correctly, I don't like it much.  Are you saying that
> the native RPM would install stuff packaged for Linux in the Linux
> compatibility area?

Not by default. You would need --root --ignoreos and --dbpath to do that.
The example is confusing, but it should be as easy as that. I'm think of a
link...

> IMHO we should be using the Linux RPM binary to do all installs into
> the Linux compatibility area.  You might want to look at the RedHat
> installer to see how they bootstrap their installation to the point
> where RPM actually works for them if that's still an issue.

The Red Hat installer has rpm functionality build-in. It never calls rpm
itself. Bootstrapping the linux-base port is done by using the rpm port. It
also never invokes the linux rpm. Other ports can best be installed using
the linux rpm.

More on this subject later.

--
Marcel Moolenaar                                  mailto:marcel@scc.nl