Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 17:54:13 +0100 (CET)
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        jandrese@mitre.org
Cc:        erichz@superhero.org, john@utzweb.net, chain@daemon.bsd.ee, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Choppy picture with Sawfish+GNOME and fxtv

On 13 Nov, Jason Andresen wrote:

> I had a somewhat similar problem a couple of years ago with the SGI
> Magic Desktop and Windowmaker.  It turns out that if the desktop
> was running (actually the filemanager) and drawing icons on the
> desktop (similar to MS desktop icons like My computer) the machine
> would grind to a halt on any furious video updates (like playing
> movies, resizing windows with the "technical drawing like" size
> indicators , running gnuplot, etc...).  It turns out
> the desktop icons were redrawing on every screen update and
> consuming an enormous amount of CPU time.  I eventually shut down
> the filemanger and the system sped right back up.

This may be the case. I didn't use fxtv, but I use GNOME, without gmc or
nautilus, so no redrawing of icons happens. But I use chbg for my
backgrounds, and I see some strange flickering in gtt's active entry
highlighting if I work with galeon (a lot of open pages) and chbg
updates the backgound at the same time. Maybe there's something in gtk
or gnome which causes a screen redraw (I hope not).

Bye,
Alexander.

--
   "One world, one web, one program"  -- Microsoft promotional ad
         "Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuehrer"  -- Adolf Hitler