Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 18:26:45 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Chris Coleman <chris@bbcc.ctc.edu>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gateway Computers

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Chris Coleman wrote:

> I My gateway contact wants to send FreeBSD an Eval computer for
> certification.  What Gateway configuration would you be looking for?

Chris,

I'm looking at two machines, one server-class and one workstation-class.
I have only spec'd out the workstation at this point, and have attached an
approximate spec below.  The server would most likely be a similar
processor, more memory, strictly boring video support, and preferably
RAID-capable SCSI interface.  Given that FreeBSD seems to support DPT RAID
controllers best at this point, I was looking at that; also, a transparent
"pretend to be adaptec" controllar would also work fine.  The server
purchase might not be for several months; the workstation purchase in the
next two months most likely.  This spec is essentially the same as the one
I emailed out and did not get a response on.  Thanks for your help!
Getting some form of vendor support/etc for the machine would be great.

PII 400 or 450Mhz
128MB of memory
21" or greater monitor
No need for 3d acceleration on the video card, but performance for video
conferencing an large-scale window systems/frame buffers is important.
Similarly, a sound card suitable for use in moderate quality
video-conferencing.
10/100baset ethernet card
SCSI disk subsystem with:
  At least 6gig hard disk (largely disk cache for a distributed file
  system such as AFS)
  CD-ROM drive (any speed)
Ergonomic keyboard, mouse
No modem
No need for a backup device
No Applications
FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE operating system, with X-windows (XIG or XFree86)

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/