Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 11:25:35 -0600
From:      hawk@hawkins.cba.uni.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   /boot/loader not found on third partition --------

All was well when I had 3.2 installed with FreeBSD on the third
partition.  I upgraded to 3.3, and it could no longer find /boot/loader.
This has continued with a clean install of 3. (I needed to move
partitions around).

The loader correctly offers three choices of linux, dos, and freebsd
for the three partitions.  It will remember to keep defaults properly
as well.  However, when trying to boot freebsd, it returns the error
"invalid partition", and defaults to (0,a) rather than (0,c).  If I
manually type in the wd(0,c), with or without /boot/loader appended, it
successfully boots.  But the problem returns the next time, when (0,a)
will again be the default.

I've told it to reinstall the boot loader several times.  I've compiled
the kernel successfully as well.  Nonetheless, the problem persists.

Any ideas?