Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:24:51 +0000
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Jason La <jasonla_@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suggestions for Documentation

Jason La wrote:

> As a newbie, it took a while for me to understand what a "server" was. I
> started out thinking that it was a physical machine. I didn't find any place
> that explained to me what a software server was.. like the X Server...
> SUGGESTION: Please take the time to explain some basic background or
> understanding so you doin't loose us.

Really basic information like is very useful, but I don't think it
belongs in the FBSD documentation. The FreeBSD docs should be about
FreeBSD and included software. "Server" is a very basic term, and I
don't think the docs need to cover it. A glossary with basic terms like
this defined will more than double the size of the handbook.

FreeBSD should have complete documentation for newbies to the system,
but at the same time I think it should demand some level of computer
literacy.

--
David Johnson