Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2006 15:28:53 -0400
From:      Gerard Seibert <gerard@seibercom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OT] CVSUP (was "Re: Was: Re: Why This Infinite Loop??")

--nextPart1557305.LkL1oDpb5I

On Monday 21 August 2006 15:02, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> =A0 =A0 CVSUP isn't that difficult IMHO to learn, and is a better, more
> efficient way to download the ports Makefiles. It will take him all of
> 10-20 minutes to configure if he reads the documentation and uses the
> example file.

I am always willing to learn something new. How is it more efficient at=20
downloading the port's Makefiles? I agree that the first time you=20
run 'portsnap' it might take twenty minutes to fetch and extract the files.=
=20
However, after that it only requires a fetch and update to complete the job=
=2E=20
It appears, to me anyway, to run at least as quick as cvsup plus I do not=20
have to rebuild the index. If he runs cvsup I believe he has to rebuild the=
=20
index, or am I mistaken?

In any case, he has to use one method or the other or he will never get his=
=20
system updated.

=2D-=20
Gerard Seibert
gerard@seibercom.net

Every man takes the limits of his own field
of vision for the limits of the world.

	Schopenhauer