Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 21:43:08 -0500
From:      Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC <chad@shire.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Cc:        chad@shire.net
Subject:   Athlon XP MB suggestions for Server

Hi All

I am looking to purchase two motherboards for my servers.  I'd like to
use Athlon XP (single processor) CPUs and motherboards.

These are used as servers, both email and web, and have Adaptec 2100S
disk controllers and U160 disks, and later model Intel 2114x Kingston
KNE100TX nics.  Generic PCI video cards that are used as a console only,
normally with nothing on them

Otherwise no PCI cards.

This is to replace almost three year old Abit bp6 boards, each running 2
celerons (not overclocked).  These boards have run 24x7 and I'd like to
replace them before they develop problems.  They are currently at 4.2R

I was looking at the Abit KG7 board, with the latest BIOS.  I searched
the archives and found that Greg Lehey  mentioned a problem with the
same southbridge chip as used in the KG7, but only that one problem.
Others seemed to indicate it was OK.

I would like to install 4.5R or S and it should run 24x7,
semi-unattended (I am in NH, the machines live in SLC UT, but the
colocate people will push the buttons to reboot or whatever).

Needs to support ECC memory (as much as possible for future use) .

Any recommendations, suggestion, criticisms, or KG7 data points would be
appreciated.

Thanks
Chad