Date:      Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:11:48 +0100
From:      Eugene Rogoza <euro@i.com.ua>
To:        euro@i.com.ua
Subject:   Re: Progress on usb/79524 (printing to Minolta 1300W via /dev/ulpt0)

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 09:21 -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <1132156386.875.11.camel@localhost>
>             Eugene Rogoza <euro@i.com.ua> writes:
> : Hello everybody,
> :
> : The old issue with 'ulpt' and "device busy" (usb/79524) is slowly moving
> : towards resolution.
> :
> : A brief history:
> :
> : http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-usb/2005-March/000695.html
> : http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-usb/2005-July/001254.html
> : http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-usb/2005-July/001265.html
> :
> : I tried the patch of Mr. M. Warner Losh and voila! No "device busy"
> : anymore, but when sending a print job, the kernel reports: "ulpt0:
> : offline", and stays offline, although the printer is turned on.
>
> Yes.  The kernel will say that, and then send the print job anyway.
> Does the job actually print?

Nope. Should it print after something like:

echo "Test" > /dev/ulpt0 ?

Because if the simple tests fail, then the complex ones (ghostscript ->
PPD -> driver) also fail. But actually I didn't try the whole chain yet.

> : Is it a somewhat known issue, or should I supply additional debug
> : information?
>
> Yes.  It is telling you your printer is broken :-).  There's no
> software problem here.  Your printer stupidly reports offline status.

Then I guess the Windows driver is more "kickass" or simply doesn't care
whether the printer is online.

Eugene