Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 1997 21:17:54 -0600
From:      "Robert J. Strickler" <rstrickler@thrunet.net>
To:        "'isp@freebsd.org'" <isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   howto install 9G ST410800W?

What do we need to specify to get FreeBSD to use the entire
capacioty of a Seagate ST410800W 9GB drive?

The results we get from fdisk very inconsistant.
Seagate specs say 17,755,614 total sectors for the drive.
fdisk reports 17,689,265 for the c (whole disk)
partition of the freeBSD slice.
As you can see fdisk gets very confused about the
# of cylinders and tracks in that slice.

I think that it is having trouble fitting the entire disk
into an MSDOG partition table.

We have no need to have anything but FreeBSD see this disk.

Is there a way to tell FreeBSD to shoehorn a large disk into
an archiac table?

The man pages on ccd and ccdconfig are pretty sparse and the
"complete" FreeBSD book does not metion it at all.
the ccd command still seems to want to deal with partitions that
we can not seem to define correctl as the cylinder and sector counts
are truncated.

If we assume it is just a reporting problem and the size
specified is correct and create a disklabel this seems to succeed.
A dump of the disk label follows the fdisk capture.

However, mount and fsck have a problem with the superblock
and the magic number.

Any hints on how to twist its tail to use this monster
would be greatly appreciated.

---------------------------------

news@nns1:{45} mount /dev/sd0h /news/spool/articles/alt
/dev/sd0h on /news/spool/articles/alt: Incorrect super block.

---------------------------------

news@nns1:{43} fsck /dev/sd0h
** /dev/rsd0h
BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
Floating point exception (core dumped)

news@nns1:{1} fdisk -i /dev/rsd0
******* Working on device /dev/rsd0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=4926 heads=27 sectors/track=133 (3591 blks/cyl)

 Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=4926 heads=27 sectors/track=133 (3591 blks/cyl)

Do you want to change our idea of what BIOS thinks ? [n] n
fdisk: Invalid fdisk partition table found
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 0 is:
<UNUSED>
Do you want to change it? [n] n
The data for partition 1 is:
<UNUSED>
Do you want to change it? [n] n
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
Do you want to change it? [n] n
The data for partition 3 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 1, size 17689265 (8637 Meg), flag 80
        beg: cyl 0/ sector 2/ head 0;
        end: cyl 830/ sector 1/ head 0
Do you want to change it? [n] n

disklabel -r sd0
# /dev/rsd0c:
type: SCSI
disk: ST4108
label: NewsAlt
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 133
tracks/cylinder: 27
sectors/cylinder: 3591
cylinders: 4925
sectors/unit: 17689265
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c: 17689265        0    unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 4925*)
  h: 17689263        2    4.2BSD      512 63488     0   # (Cyl.    0*- 4925*)