Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2001 16:30:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/29966: cleanup of ppp server socket on unclean startup

The following reply was made to PR bin/29966; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To: <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>
Cc: <yar@FreeBSD.ORG>, <FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 03:29:46 +0400 (MSD)

 Hello ther Crist,

 On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Crist J. Clark wrote:

 CJC> > 	After unclean shutdown (e.g, crash) ppp server socket
 CJC> > remains on file system. Then, if ppp started automatically
 CJC> > during startup, it cannot bind to that socket

 [snip]

 CJC> Actually, a much easier fix is to put your server socket above
 CJC> /var/run. Everything above /var/run is already cleaned during the boot
 CJC> process.

 Unfortunately, it's not such easy now. I use my socket in /var/run/ppp and
 it is not cleaned. AFAICC, the only files that are now cleaned from
 /var/run is pid files -- and it's not "The Right Thing (tm)" for me to
 name socket ending with .pid ;-)

 Or did I miss some serious changes with purgedir()?

 CJC> It's simply not possible to make the rc(8) scripts completely
 CJC> bulletproof when coming up from a crash. I personally don't see a need
 CJC> for this addition to the process. Using /var/run or some other
 CJC> location automatically cleaned at boot for your socket seems to be a
 CJC> much more general solution. Unless someone has some compelling
 CJC> arguments on why ppp(8) needs this special treatment in rc(8) scripts,
 CJC> I'll close this PR tomorrow.

 Thank you for your cooperation and especially for quick reaction.

 Sincerely,
 D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]