Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 12:36:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re-install done!  I'm getting really quick at this...

Well, thanks to excellent backups (including my entire root directory,
subdirectories and all, my ppp directory, my custom kernel config file and
certain files in /etc) and fast hardware, my re-install of FreeBSD is pretty
much complete!  I may still be lacking a few packages I had before, but that's
an easy fix.  I now have over 2 gigs of HD space dedicated to FreeBSD (2055
megs, to be exact), in the following organization:

Disk: wd2       Partition name: wd2s1   Free: 0 blocks (0MB)

Part    Mount            Size Newfs   Part    Mount            Size Newfs
----    -----            ---- -----   ----    -----            ---- -----
wd2s1a  /                40MB UFS N
wd2s1e  /var             40MB UFS N
wd2s1f  /root            80MB UFS N
wd2s1g  /usr           1771MB UFS N
wd2s1b  swap            128MB SWAP

Not bad, eh?  Since so many programs (such as Netscape and XFMail) store their
config files and caches in my home directory (I usually log on as root, even
though it's supposed to be a no-no - I'm just extra careful), I dedicated an 80
meg slice to my home directory (/root).  Swap is now about where it should be
(the 2x main memory "rule of thumb" I've knocked in the past, but others have
helped me see the light :-), and with a full system (including some large
packages) installed, this is what df tells me:

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd2s1a     39719    13550    22992    37%    /
/dev/wd2s1f     79455      593    72506     1%    /root
/dev/wd2s1g   1759018   251620  1366677    16%    /usr
/dev/wd2s1e     39719     1308    35234     4%    /var
procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc

Gonna take a while to fill up that /usr partition!  I love it.  BSD is my OS of
choice now, except when I need access to hardware it doesn't support.

E-Mail: Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Date: 27-Jun-98
Time: 12:16:57

This message was sent by XFMail under Fvwm2 and FREEBSD.
My personal website is at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html
Take a look if you have the time - something for everyone there.