Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2002 19:43:55 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: docs/41253: config(8) and/or Handbook deficiency

On Fri, Aug 02, 2002 at 09:59:51AM -0700, Rich Morin wrote:
> Perhaps I'm just confused.  As it happens, I DO have the sources on my
> FreeBSD machine, but I thought that (as in the case of SunOS) this was
> not really necessary to configure a new kernel.  In any case, when I
> recently built a kernel, I didn't mess about in /usr/src at all.  I
> just used the /sys/i386/conf area, as suggested by the config(8) page:
>
>    config should be run from the conf subdirectory of the system source
>    (usually /sys/ARCH/conf), where ARCH represents one of the architectures
>    supported by FreeBSD.  ...
>
> Hence, this is what I did:
>
> 	  # cd /sys/i386/conf
> 	  # cp GENERIC <some_name>
> 	  # vi <some_name>
> 	  # config <some_name>
> 	  # cd ../../compile/<some_name>
> 	  # make depend
> 	  # make
> 	  # make install
>
> This seems rather simpler than the method discussed in the Handbook, but
> again, I may be missing something...

Maybe, I'm starting to see your point, you talk about a "building a
kernel in a nutshell" section with just the mandatory operations
followed after by more explanations?

In the section we can find your way but with additional things, maybe
the "look" of the page has to be reworked... I don't know.

In fact about that chapter, some people will want directly the commands
and others many explanations and guidelines, it is the problem of that
sort of subject.

Marc