Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 17:35:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        committers@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More bloat removal... secure_rpc

Of all the gin joints in all the world, Mark Murray had to walk into
mine and say:

> Hi folx
>
> In the secure dist is secure_rpc. This has never worked, and now
> Bill Paul (wpaul) has got a other (?) sources going, but cannot
> import them because they are legally questionable. (Diffie-
> Hellman patent (?) ).
>
> OK if I nuke'em?

It's okay by me. The Diffie-Hellman patent supposedly expires in 1997,
so I won't be able to do anything with it until then.

When I finally do start merging stuff in, I plan to import each individual
piece into the correct subdirectory in the tree, as with the NIS stuff.
This means keyserv and rpc.ypupdated will go in src/usr.sbin, keyenvoy in
src/libexec, keylogin and chkey in src/usr.bin, and so on. The actual
library modifications, new header files and man pages will get merged in
with the existing stuff, so no new directories will be needed for that,
and only a relatively small number of extra files will be added.
Secure RPC itself only uses DES for authentication, so it isn't
export-restricted and can be included on the CD as long as the DES
encryption functions are broken out. (Suggestions on what to use
for a replacement algorithm are welcome. I vote for rot13. :)

If it wasn't for Diffie-Hellman, I would have done this already.

(And of course, once Secure RPC in in place, the way will be clear
for me to inflict NIS+ on the unsuspecting free OS world. :)

-Bill

-Bill Paul            (212) 854-6020 | System Manager
License error: The license for this .sig file has expired. You must obtain
a new license key before any more witty phrases will appear in this space.