Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2012 13:11:32 +0200
From:      Milan Obuch <freebsd-ppc@dino.sk>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie - Mac G5 Dual PPC 970 @ 2Ghz

On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 18:50:01 +0800
Ian Chapman <packages@amiga-hardware.com> wrote:

[ snip ]

> spawning processors was horrendously slow. I recompiled the kernel
> and disabled these options as they seemed to be enabled by default
> for the 64bit kernel but not the 32bit.
>
> #options        KDB                     #Enable the kernel debugger
> #options        DDB                     #Support DDB
> #options        DEADLKRES               #Enable the deadlock resolver
> #options        INVARIANTS              #Enable calls of extra sanity
> checking
> #options        INVARIANT_SUPPORT       #Extra sanity checks of
> internal structures, required by INVARIANTS
> #options        WITNESS                 #Enable checks to detect
> deadlocks and cycles
> #options        WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        #Don't run witness on
> spinlocks for speed
> #options        MALLOC_DEBUG_MAXZONES=8 # Separate malloc(9) zones
>
> and it appears and feels much faster now. I was wondering if these
> debugging options are on for a reason or whether it was an oversight?

I think this could be an oversight... those are option for debugging
using mostly in -CURRENT, so probably they should be taken out in
9-STABLE... We are already after 9.0 RELEASE.

> Secondly I noticed the system always booted up with a processor speed
> of 1333mhz. I searched the archives and found that auto-booting
> FreeBSD from OF and not using either the OF prompt or the 'Alt' menu
> brought the system up at the full speed of 2Ghz. I guess that what's
> powerd doesn't work either - no dynamic frequency scaling for this
> mac.
>
> Anyway the real stumbling block is getting X to work. I did see a
> similar issue in the archives but wondered if anyone at resolve it.
> My graphics card is as follows:
>
> vgapci0@pci0:0:16:0:	class=0x030000 card=0x41521002
> chip=0x41521002 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
>      vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc'
>      device     = 'RV350 AR [Radeon 9600]'
>      class      = display
>      subclass   = VGA
>      bar   [10] = type Prefetchable Memory, range 32, base
> 0xb0000000, size 268435456, enabled
>      bar   [14] = type I/O Port, range 32, base 0x400, size 256,
> enabled bar   [18] = type Memory, range 32, base 0xa0000000, size
> 65536, enabled
>      cap 02[58] = AGP v3 8x 4x SBA disabled
>      cap 01[50] = powerspec 2  supports D0 D1 D2 D3  current D0

Can't help much here - I did not yet reach that far. It would be
interesting to see your full dmesg output somewhere, at least for
comparing hardware.

Regards,
Milan