Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 1997 17:38:25 +0800 (WST)
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.psinet.net.au>
To:        Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: News...

[snip]

> I'm not suggesting we chop out any of the USENET content, just get rid of
> the files that, IMHO, do not belong there. It also solves another problem,
> namely ISPs are being forced to be distributors of illegal images and
> illegally copied software. It is very possible that some ISP's will start
> to be hauled up on criminal charges because of this. The volume of USENET
> has become so large that it no longer meets the characteristics of a cache
> or a buffer and so it is not likely to be treated the same way as HTTP or
> FTP by the legal system.

The Australian Censorship laws are beginning to suck bad :)

Eg (correct me if I screw up fellow aussies)..

you have two types of porn : say bad and v.bad (beastiality, necrophilia,
underage stuff, you get the drift).

The Bad stuff, you're not liable if you can prove you didn't know about
it.

The V.Bad stuff, you're dead :)

So basically, if someone hated me, they could put some porn on my system
and then tell the authorities, and get my system in real strife.

There is/was also the issue about who carries the information, and the ISP
being to blame if someone accesses this info though them.

I wonder what would happen if Bigpond (Telstra - the monopolizing telco in
Australia - their internet access thingy) suddenly came under this threat?

Or, (what I"D love to see) the telco getting in the crap for "carrying"
the illegal information?

Enough from me. :)

Adrian