Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:33:44 +0100
From:      Jim Mozley <jim.mozley@exponential-e.com>
To:        Emre Bastuz <info@emre.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP Openview anyone?

Emre Bastuz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> IŽd like to add some FreeBSD machines to an HP Openview managment system.
>
> AFAIK there are Windows and Linux node agents available but I could not find any
> for FreeBSD.
>
> What are you guys doing when it comes to adding FBSD boxes to the managment
> system?

My knowledge is a little out of date but for what it's worth it probably
depends on what HP-OV product you are talking about...

It its network node manager then you would want your FreeBSD box to run
an snmp agent and import the MIB into NNM. Then set-up polling and data
collection for appropriate MIB values.

OTOH if it is what used to be called ITO, that has remote agents, then
AFAIK there are no FreeBSD agents. As ITO includes NNM you could adopt
the approach of using SNMP. An alternative would be to perform tests
using an ITO agent as a proxy, for instance checking for free disk space
using SSH.

HTH,

Jim Mozley