Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 00:13:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   docs/41106: FreeBSD Handbook lacks "Desktop Applications" chapter.

>Number:         41106
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       FreeBSD Handbook lacks "Desktop Applications" chapter.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD freefall.freebsd.org 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #4: Wed Jun 26 02:35:34 PDT 2002 peter@freefall.freebsd.org:/c/src/sys/compile/FREEFALL i386

N/A

The 'Getting Started' part of the Handbook needs a new chapter
dedicated to popular user applications.

The Handbook index is completely devoid of any entries relating to
web browsers or countless other applications that new users expect
from their operating system.

This 'Desktop Productivity' or 'Desktop Applications' chapter should
contain information about installing, configurating, and using
Netscape, StarOffice, Adobe Acrobat, and other popular programs.  A
novice user does not know where to look in the ports/ trees for these
basic programs.  We need to introduce novice users to the recommended
applications for accomplishing common tasks on FreeBSD.

>How-To-Repeat:
N/A