Date:      Mon, 09 Nov 1998 13:17:35 -0700
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@plutotech.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, Phillip Salzman <psalzman@gamefish.pcola.gulf.net>, Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X desktop contest? + Desktop Env

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> That would have been silly, however, since we'd only received 2 valid
> entries and neither of them was something I'd have even published.

Hmmm.  If quality wasn't one of the metrics of the contest, then it
definitely should've been/should be.  (Don't remember if it was.)

I remember when redhat.com was just an ISDN line to some guy's house in
Florida, and screenshots of his user interfaces looked, well, really
damn good.  Is that all it took to get redhat to take off?  Is that all
it will take for FreeBSD?

> Seriously, it may look bad to admit it but the fact is simply
> indisputable that FreeBSD's interest in the desktop contest was
> marginal to non-existent and everyone had MORE than enough time to get
> their entries in, even before the first suspension.

Time?  I wish that were true.

I've been working off and on on a starting desktop for FreeBSD that
includes a system administration tool for about a year now, even before
you announced the contest.  The contest naturally bolstered my desire to
get it done, but with two consulting jobs plus fulltime work here at
Pluto, it just wasn't going to happen.  Even owning just *one* cat takes
some time out of the day!  :-)

> Not so astonishing - it's quite clear by these results that the number
> of people who actually CARE about this must be very small indeed.

You're probably right.  <whimper>

Well, when I get this desktop stuff done, I'll submit it
anyway---contest or no.

Take care.
--Sean