Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 2000 18:18:53 EDT
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cliff Rowley's 'Port...' question

Hi:

> > Is there an ongoing effort to provide an actual 'Port' for the
> > FreeBSD JDK?  If not, I'd like to make a start on one...

>What's wrong with /usr/ports/java/jdk?

>What version are you referring to ? There is a production-quality
>JDK 1.1 available, and there is a beta-quality JDK 1.2, and there is
                		  *!====================!*
>a almost-production-quality Linux JDK 1.2 (Blackdown RC4).

The responses to Cliff Rowley's question are somewhat disappointing.  Cliff
has posted many times to this list (I counted 7 in June).  Even if you
didn't know that, and even if you didn't know that the content of at least
_some_ of his postings concerned JDK 1.2.2, wouldn't it logically make sense
that he is referring to JDK1.2.2?  JDK1.1.8 and the Blackdown 1.2.2 are
already ports!

Also, did I miss an announcement?  Was patchset 9 declared 'beta', or has
patchset 10 been released? (as beta?  if so, I need to update from 9).

I haven't seen many complaints about patchset 9 as alpha/beta, and a 'port'
would entice more testers, so I think that Cliff's question makes sense.

John