Date:      Tue, 26 Sep 1995 11:12:57 +0100
From:      Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/ports/GUIDELINES

In message <199509260920.CAA13098@silvia.HIP.Berkeley.EDU>, Satoshi Asami write
s:
>This file is obsolete, it's superseded by section 4.3 of the handbook.
>May I replace it with a file with "Please see the `Porting
>Applications' section of the handbook, available from...."?

Nuke it altogether. Along with /usr/share/FAQ/Text/ports.FAQ. Probably
leave a top level ``README'' with pointers to the relevant locations.

(I just re-read ports.FAQ after a friend contacted me and said ``I've
 read ports.FAQ but I still don't know what the fsck a port
 is. HELP!?!?!?!??''. It's evil. It should die. It will die. It has
 been foretold :-) What was embarassing was he realised that I was the
 original author :-( Oh well ... ).

Moral: it helps if you actually have some FAQ's to put in your FAQ
       before you start :-)

Gary

P.S. No, he didn't say ``fsck''. I'll leave it up to your imagination
     what the real word he used was ;-)