Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 09:44:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        frank@khmere.com, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbies user groups in LA area

>Date: Sat, 03 Oct 1998 22:32:23 -0700
>From: Nathan <frank@khmere.com>

>I want to see if their are any people in the LA area that you know of
>that have a user group or are interested in starting one?

Well, assuming that you're referring to Los Angeles, California (vs.
the state of Louisiana; I don't recall if "LA" is a valid ISO country
designator), it's possible that UUASC (UNIX Users' Assn. of Southern
California) might be appropriate.  (I used to be involved with the
Orange County branch of UUASC before I moved to Redwood City.)

I'll also put a plug in here for involvement in USENIX -- IMO, the *BSD
community has a lot in common, and a lot in common with the USENIX
community, and you can learn a lot obout UNIX in general this way... as
well as help introduce others to FreeBSD.

Further, a disproportionately high fraction of the folks who use FreeBSD
also have the (dubious) "honor" of acting as (their own) sysadmins.
Thus, I believe that many users of FreeBSD may well find SAGE activities
(such as the LISA conferences) of (significant) interest.  And in some
communities, there are sysadmin (support) groups -- here in the San
Francisco Bay Area, there's BayLISA (several of whose members were
instrumental in getting SAGE started).

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621