Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 11:23:14 +0100
From:      Damian Hamill <damian@cablenet.net>
To:        "David H. Brierley" <dave@galaxia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMTP gateway clients

David H. Brierley wrote:

> > > It's called ETRN.
> > > telnet to port 25 and enter the command
> > >
> > > ETRN domain.name
> > > QUIT
> >
> > but it only works with a fixed IP address for the relay.  The original
> > question was how to use dynamic IP address for the relay.
>
> What I did was to write a short program that would modify the
> sendmail configuration files to reflect the "current" IP address
> for the domain.  Create a special login/password combination which
> runs the program, have the program prompt for a domain name and a
> second password, query the system to find the IP address of the
> incoming connection, rewrite the files.  When the customer then
> connects a few seconds later and gives the "ETRN" comand it will
> deliver the mail just fine.  The biggest problem is making sure
> that the host at IP address x.y.z.z is still the same host 5 minutes
> later, otherwise you end up delivering the mail to the wrong machine.
> This is probably best handled by having the original program maintain
> some form of connection to the customers machine and reset the
> sendmail configuration files when the connection drops.
>
> Before anybody asks, I no longer work for the ISP that I did all
> of this for so I no longer have access to the code.  On the other
> hand, if anybody wants to hire me to come up with a solution for
> them I am available at reasonable rates.

Or you can buy our ready made solution that has been working fine for
the last two years.

	http://www.cablenet.net/cablenet/popinabox/license.html

We have a number of components which work together to solve this
problem;

	a dynamic DNS server.
	a special version of sendmail, tailored for dynamic IP.
	a process which moves email to user specific queues.

regards
damian

--
* PIAB - PoP In A Box - the total solution for ISPs, with more features
* than a Constable landscape, and very cheap too!!