Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2012 15:51:55 -0800
From:      Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
To:        Joseph Mays <mays@win.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 9.1 permissions in the / directory

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Joseph Mays <mays@win.net> wrote:

> Have a recently set up 9.1 RC1 system. Someone (not me, just sayin') did =
a chmod 600 in the / directory. Needless to say this caused numerous proble=
ms. I tried to change them back as best I could by comparing them to an old=
er directory, but some things are still not right. Trying to log in, via ei=
ther console or ssh  as anyone other than root. Ssh gets:

> %ssh mays@[redacted]
> Password:
> Last login: Wed Nov 14 15:50:37 2012
> Could not chdir to home directory /home/mays: Permission denied
> /bin/tcsh: Permission denied
> Connection to [redacted] closed.
> %
>
> followed by a disconnect. Console complains about the /home/user director=
y not being there (though it is and the permissions look normal), says it's=
 logging in with slash instead, then says "/bin/tcsh: no such file or direc=
tory", though /bin/tcsh is there and permissions look fine. I'm attaching a=
 screenshot of the message log that shows up on console logins.

> So, two questions. What is causing the problem, and does anyone have anyt=
hing that shows what the normal / directory permissions for 9.1 RC1 should =
look like?

rg"

/home is normally a link to /usr/home

lrwxr-xr-x root wheel home -> usr/home
drwxr-xr-x root wheel usr

is that what you have?

if it was done with -R then best bet is to restore from backup.

# mkdir foo
# ln -s foo boo
# ls -l
total 2
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    3 Nov 14 15:46 boo -> foo
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Nov 14 15:46 foo

# chmod 600 *
# ls -l
total 2
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    3 Nov 14 15:46 boo -> foo
drw-------  2 root  wheel  512 Nov 14 15:46 foo

# chmod 755 *
# ls -l
total 2
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    3 Nov 14 15:46 boo -> foo
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Nov 14 15:46 foo

attachments are stripped, paste the text instead.

Waitman Gobble
San Jose California