Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:58:14 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        freebsd-ia64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   5.1 action items

Gang,

With 5.1-BETA scheduled to be available in 2 weeks, it's probably
a good idea to see what we really feel needs to be fixed. I came
up with the following list of items (from the top of my head --
roughly in order of priority):

1. Fix the installer to create a GPT instead of an MBR. This
   solves most of the post-install problems people are having
   and makes FreeBSD play nice if other OSes already exist.
2. Fix the loader to not hardcode fs0, so that we can install
   from CD when an AFI partition already exists. Arun has
   some patches for this already.
3. Finish the EPC syscall implementation and related overhaul.
   This is a biggy and may not be finished in time, but we
   really need it if we want to have threading (our current
   setjmp/longjmp based context switching does not work for
   the 1:1 and M:N threading implementations. Also, it's a
   big ABI breaker, so I'd rather have it behind us...
4. Validate the new XFree86-4.3.0 port. Porting the X server
   would be nice (I already started this, but higher priority
   work preempted the effort).
5. Fix SMP on the HP boxes.

Other random bits and pieces that are a PITA:
o  Fix the bloody USB on the freakin' BigSur
o  Port gdb(1)

Feedback is appreciated. Anybody willing to attack the first 2
items, should not hesitate giving it a shot (just let everybody
know so that we don't have people doing the same thing).