Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 21:12:02 -0500
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Context switches on cdrom.com ??

I'm just curious what the context switches per second numbers are like
on a busy machine like ftp.cdrom.com..  What are people seeing on
heavily loaded machines (where, in this case, heavy load means tons
of processes)?

I'd like to plop a FreeBSD machine into an installation that sees
a lot of mail, and typically has about 700-1000 processes running.

On my low-load servers around the house and lab, I rarely see the
Csw number go above 250-300, but I only have about 150-200 processes..
I have managed to push Csw past 1000 on my PPro at home, but artificial
tests like that rarely have anything to do with the Real World(tm)! :-)

TIA,
-Mark

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark