Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 2002 12:41:05 -0500
From:      John Prince <johnp@lodgenet.com>
To:        Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>
Cc:        John Prince <johnp@lodgenet.com>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ATA Atapi 4.6 Release

--=====================_1035723812==_.ALT

Hello Fred..

I also want to mention, in our Handbook, last paragraph of section 1.3.3.
"In summary, our development model is organized as a loose set of
concentric circles. The centralized model is designed for the convenience
of the users of FreeBSD, who are thereby provided with an easy way of
tracking one central code base, not to keep potential contributors out! Our
desire is to present a stable operating system with a large set of coherent
application programs that the users can easily install and use, and this
model works very well in accomplishing that.
"

--john

At 09:38 AM 6/18/2002 -0600, Fred Clift wrote:
>On Mon, 17 Jun 2002, John Prince wrote:
>

> > If not, can someone reply as to why the stability of FreeBSD was
> > compromised in favor of an improved method, that does not quite have
> > the bugs out of it..
>

>Well, in response to this, I can give you my conjecture.  There are
>differing viewpoints on what FreeBSD is all about.  There are many
>different ways to classify FreeBSD users, but for the moment think of them
>as 'corporate users' and as 'os developers'.
>
> From the corporate side, people tend to want predictable release dates, a
>very codified, process driven system for handling bugs, 'full' stability,
>backward compatibility etc.
>
>For the developer side, FreeBSD is about doing cool things with the
>operating system of your computer.  Making things work better/nicer, or
>just experimenting etc.
>
>I would say that over time, the corporate-type people have become more
>influential in the project and the world has changed in such a way as to
>make 'change' harder.
>
>It appears that your bias is towards stability at the expense of
>innovation (I realize that they need not be not mutually exclusive).
>Other's bias is toward getting new features at the expense of some
>compatibility.
>
>In this particular case, the ata-drivers are a two-edged sword.  People
>want them so they can hot-plug ata devices (especially raid devices),
>which the new framework/driver allows.
>
>One could argue that it might have been better to mfc earlier (ie right
>after 4.5-R) or wait till after 4.6-R so that the most time possible for
>working out these kinks could be used.  I dont know what factors
>accompanied the timing of the MFC but I think that if we were going to do
>it at all, we just had to pick a time and do it.  Never could all the bugs
>be worked out between any two releases, even with the most optimal timing,
>so if we want the new code at all, we just have to bite the bullet and
>work with it.
>
>Fred
>

>--
>Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute
>force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.

--=====================_1035723812==_.ALT

Hello Fred..<br><br>
I also want to mention, in our Handbook, last paragraph of section
1.3.3.<br>
&quot;In summary, our development model is organized as a loose set of
concentric circles. The centralized model is designed for the convenience
of the users of FreeBSD, who are thereby provided with an easy way of
tracking one central code base, not to keep potential contributors out!
Our desire is to present a stable operating system with a large set of
the users can easily install and use, and this model works very well in
accomplishing that.<br>
&quot;<br><br>
--john<br><br>
At 09:38 AM 6/18/2002 -0600, Fred Clift wrote:<br>
wrote:<br><br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; If not, can someone reply as to why the stability of FreeBSD
was<br>
&gt; compromised in favor of an improved method, that does not quite
have<br>
&gt; the bugs out of it..<br><br>
Well, in response to this, I can give you my conjecture.&nbsp; There
are<br>
differing viewpoints on what FreeBSD is all about.&nbsp; There are
many<br>
different ways to classify FreeBSD users, but for the moment think of
them<br>
as 'corporate users' and as 'os developers'.<br><br>
 From the corporate side, people tend to want predictable release dates,
a<br>
very codified, process driven system for handling bugs, 'full'
stability,<br>
backward compatibility etc.<br><br>
For the developer side, FreeBSD is about doing cool things with the<br>
operating system of your computer.&nbsp; Making things work better/nicer,
or<br>
just experimenting etc.<br><br>
I would say that over time, the corporate-type people have become
more<br>
influential in the project and the world has changed in such a way as
to<br>
make 'change' harder.<br><br>
It appears that your bias is towards stability at the expense of<br>
innovation (I realize that they need not be not mutually
exclusive).<br>
Other's bias is toward getting new features at the expense of some<br>
compatibility.<br><br>
In this particular case, the ata-drivers are a two-edged sword.&nbsp;
People<br>
want them so they can hot-plug ata devices (especially raid
devices),<br>
which the new framework/driver allows.<br><br>
One could argue that it might have been better to mfc earlier (ie
right<br>
after 4.5-R) or wait till after 4.6-R so that the most time possible
for<br>
working out these kinks could be used.&nbsp; I dont know what
factors<br>
accompanied the timing of the MFC but I think that if we were going to
do<br>
it at all, we just had to pick a time and do it.&nbsp; Never could all
the bugs<br>
be worked out between any two releases, even with the most optimal
timing,<br>
so if we want the new code at all, we just have to bite the bullet
and<br>
work with it.<br><br>
Fred<br><br>
--<br>
Fred Clift - fclift@verio.net -- Remember: If brute<br>
force doesn't work, you're just not using enough.<br><br>
with &quot;unsubscribe freebsd-stable&quot; in the body of the message