Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 07:32:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, osc20@yahoo.com
Subject:   Re: difference between freebsd & linux

>Date: Tue, 7 Sep 1999 00:08:45 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Oscar Urquidy <osc20@yahoo.com>

>What i found too, is that most of the people using FreeBSD, are network
>administrators, webmasters, and things realted to use the FreeBSD as a
>server, on serius jobs. So what about FreeBSD workstation?

Well, the concepts aren't quite completely at odds.  :-)

Many of the folks I support here at Whistle use FreeBSD machines on
desktops; some of us use nothing else on our (work) desktops.

At home, I recently had occasion to buy PC hardware for the first time
in my life (and I've been working with UNIX since '86, and computers
since '69), to build a firewall for the DSL connection, and a second
system to serve as my wife's desktop (replacing the Sun 3/60 that she
had been using).

She says she likes it well enough, but has recently asked to be able to
take a break (from jam-making -- end of summer over here) by playing a
game on the desktop that I use (at home) -- a Sun SPARCstation 5/110,
running Solaris 2.6.  I did ask her why she didn't want to use her own
machine, and she said something about liking the room where my desk is.
(Not sure I want to pursue that much further than I did, which was to
offer to swap rooms; the one I use is smaller.  The offer was declined.)

Naturally, nearly all the applications that run on either machine can be
xhosted to any other.  (This even includes the 3/60; it's soon to be
retired, but it still plays an active, though diminishing, role in the
home net.)  So I can build and run games on the FreeBSD box while
seated at my SS5, for example.  This is by design and intent.

I should mention that one of the reasons I chose FreeBSD for my wife's
desktop was that she had been using tvtwm as a window manager on the
3/60; since I use tvtwm here at work on my FreeBSD box, I knew I could
get it to work OK for her, so the transition would be less painful.
(Yes, I have heard that there are fancier/more fetureful/wierder window
managers out there.  She hates PCs and despises Macs; I see little to be
gained by emulating such an environment for her.)

>By now i'm installing FreeBSD on my home pc, and obviously planing to
>use it as "home pc", and i don't doubt about the capabilities of
>FreeBSD as a server, but i would really like to hear an opinion about
>FreeBSD as standalone system. I already browsed the package collection
>but haven't installed nothing yet (i'll get there soon). I saw some CAD
>software, lots of games!, and a lot of another stuff. At least i saw
>netscape so later i will post from FreeBSD.

Well, by having the (limited) variety of systems I do at home, I get a
fair degree of flexibility.

I do some of that here at work, too:  we use some (commercial)
applications that run on SPARC/Solaris environments, so we have a couple
of those machines locked up down in the server room... but we can run
programs on those machines, while interacting with them from our
(FreeBSD) desktops.  (This type of flexibility was designed into the X
Window System, and would seem to be adequate reason in its own right
that the X folks received the "Keeper of the Flame" award at June's
USENIX in Monterey.  I think it was well-deserved.)

>So i would like to now if there is anybody there happy with his (or
>her) FreeBSD workstation.

Basically, yes.  For me, the PC hardware is very strange, but running an
OS with a somewhat familiar "feel" helps alleviate that.

>Do You Yahoo!?

Uh, no; I doubt that I'd be seriously tempted to do so.  :-}

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915