Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:57:50 +0200
From:      Erik Norgaard <norgaard@locolomo.org>
To:        BONGANI MANGANYE <205038328@cput.ac.za>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd

BONGANI MANGANYE wrote:
> I know freebsd is free but i would like to know how much will I pay if I
> need additional package like updates and other useful software,and can
> you tell how secure it is how protected i will be if i use freebsd

FreeBSD is free, and any updates are free. Third party applications may
or may not be free depending on the license terms and the intended
usage. This is no different than for any other operating system.

There is only one operating system (AFAIK) that claims a definite level
of security: OpenBSD claims to be "secure by default" and shows an
impresive track record. This is defined as there are no known remote
exploits in the most resent version in the default instalation. However,
any change to the default configuration or installation of third party
applications may change that.

Really, there is no common or objective scale for comparing the security
of different systems. Regardless of any claims, all liability is disclaimed.

BR, Erik
--
Erik Nørgaard
Ph: +34.666334818/+34.915211157                  http://www.locolomo.org