Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 13:53:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Hugh LaMaster <lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov
Subject:   Re: SCSI host adapter...

> Soon I'll upgrade my machine's disk sub-system from IDE to SCSI
> but I have some doubts.

Vanquish your doubts.  You will be happy with SCSI.

> Which SCSI host adapter should I buy? I was thinking about
> the Adaptec 2940UW but it is soooo expensive here (aprox.
> $330) that I thought about the ASUS PCI-SC875 (Symbios
> Logic 53C875) which is much cheaper. Which one performs
> better?

I have not used the ASUS PCI-SC875.

But, I have been perfectly happy with my PCI-SC200 fast SCSI II,
used with a Quantum fast-narrow SCSI II disk and a Seagate QIC
SCSI tape drive.  (Yes, "dump" works fine.)  Used it under
FreeBSD 2.1.?, 2.2.5, and 3.0-current, as well as, ahem,
Windows 95.  There have been no problems with this controller
whatsoever.  Performance has been excellent as well.

I think I paid $79 U.S. for the SC200, vastly less than the
brand-name PCI SCSI controllers were going for at the time.
(~Two years ago now.)  Diamond also makes two Symbios-based
controllers, a single and a dual-bus, based on the Symbios
chipsets.

> I also know that the ASUS adapter only supports SCSI-2
> so I won't be able to plug a Quantum Atlas II (UW, SCSI-3)
> that I am planning to buy. Am I right?

The ASUS PCI-SC875 is advertised to be UW.  Some companies
refer to "Ultra-SCSI" as "SCSI-3", which is misleading,
so that is the confusion.

> I've heard that from time to time some problems appear
> on the Adaptec driver and I've never heard anything similar
> about the cards with Symbios chips. But as I know that
> wcarchive.cdrom.com is running with 2 Adaptecs 3940 it
> shouldn't be a problem, right?

Certainly, the code will be exercised thoroughly and the
motivation will be there to fix any problems.  Perhaps
someone should donate some Symbios-based controllers
to FreeBSD.org.

> I've also heard about the DPT host adapters, which are
> very fast trusting the company that produces these cards.
> Anyone with experiences on those? I might go with the
> inexpensive ASUS card now and buy a DPT latter instead
> of the Adaptec... (FYI this is for my home machine and
> I can't spend to much money on it)
>
> Thanks in advance

I can't guarantee that it will work, but, from past experience,
the ASUS card is a good bet anyway.