Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 21:15:11 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD - Linux curiosity

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 20:13 +0200, Hartmann, O. wrote:

> [ ... snipped a rather long story :) on Linux not coping with
> disks when partitioned by FreeBSD ... ]
>
> Well, I'm a little bit confused about that what happened, but
> by intuition, it seems to be a Linux problem. Does anyone ever
> heard about partition tables created by FreeBSD, caused another
> system to hang or crash while trying to format, repartition or
> low-level format the harddrive? Linux isn't able to repartition
> the harddrive! And the controller on the ASUS CUV4X-D is a VIA
> chip, not a HighPoint RAID ...

NO, I haven't heard of any problems with partitions a Linux
system cannot handle.  DoS fdisk (of all shapes) is braindead,
but that's known and not an actual problem as long as you have
bootdisks for real OS.

(NB:  You did use real partitioning schemes, didn't you?
"Dangerously dedicated" mode is evil with "modern" - read:
designed for WinTel - PC technique.)

BTW:  SuSE has an *excellent* rescue system (the best I've ever
seen in any Linux distribution!).  Can't you just boot it from CD
or the floppies (they even deliver them so you don't have to
create them yourself) and do some "time dd if=/dev/zero
of=/dev/hda bs=8388608"?  That's what I always do and get quite
some things from it:
- any previous MS crap will be gone immediately
- the disk is absolutely clean and installers do much better in
  such an environment than when sharing the machine with somebody
  else :)
- you get an estimate on throughput
- you have touched all sectors and should see when errors are
  reported

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net