Date:      Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:44:49 +0200
From:      Niklaas Baudet von Gersdorff <stdin@niklaas.eu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recovering from X "upgrade" disaster [was: how to downgrade X server]

Carmel [2016-03-31 06:58 -0400] :

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2016 05:02:18 +0000 (UTC), Will Parsons stated:
>
> >Is there anyone who can give me hope of recovering this system?
> >(I *really* don't want to trash it and reinstall.  And even if I did,
> >would there be any reason to think it would work?)
>
> I have experienced the same bullshit in the past. That is why I keep a
> backup of my critical configuration files; ie., Postfix, Dovecot,
> etcetera.

Doing the same here. With sysutils/duply it is quite easy. Simply use / as base
for the backup include what you need to backup, and exclude the rest in
`~/.duply/<backup-name>/{conf,exclude}`. Because of wildcard support it's also
easy to backup configuration files of jails by doing something like
`/**/etc/*`. (In case you intend to backup the next time.)