Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2005 19:00:06 -0400
From:      "Will Saxon" <WillS@housing.ufl.edu>
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Wireless hardware support

I recently purchased a Netgear WG311 card based on the fact that the=20
manpage for ath(4) says it is a supported card. As it turns out, at=20
least version 2 (the version I had) of this card is not supported - it=20
appears to be based on a Texas Instruments chipset that it not=20
supported by anything other than Windows. I was able to use the card
with the ndis wrapper, however it didn't work very well; console =20
messages stated that the driver was buggy and in fact my system would=20
panic randomly with the driver loaded.

I returned the card this afternoon and swapped it out for another=20
card, a D-Link DWL-G520. While this particular model number is not=20
listed on the ath(4) manpage, it is listed as a supported ath(4)=20
device on the 5.3-RELEASE hardware notes for i386. Also, it is listed=20
at the atheros webpage linked from that same document. However, at=20
least revision B3 of this card ALSO is not supported by the ath=20
driver. I get the following error message when I try to load the=20
driver:

ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0xd0000000-0xd000ffff irq 16 at device 6.0 on =
pci5
ath0: unable to attach hardware; HAL status 13
device_attach: ath0 attach returned 6

I am able to use this card via the ndis wrapper, however I get=20
numerous console messages like these (I renamed the device ath with=20
ndiscvt):

ath0: set filter failed: 45
ath0: couldn't change DS config to 2417000kHz: 19
NDIS: open file /compat/ndis/regAdd.txt failed: 2

I fixed the latter by touching the file. I have no idea what it is
supposed to do - there is no file by that name on the CD that came=20
with the card and I am not sure what it is for.

Interestingly, the DWL-G520 is supposed to be an 802.11b/g part only
however the NDIS driver 'detects' 802.11a modes. Also the NDIS driver
does not detect the 108Mbps 'Super' mode that the card advertises on=20
the box.

Thankfully, no panics yet with the D-Link card and the NDIS driver.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a PCI wireless card that is=20
natively supported by FreeBSD?=20

-Will

--
Will Saxon