Date:      Thu, 22 May 1997 14:02:36 +0200
From:      Michael Beckmann <beckmann@nacamar.de>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch), hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Slight problems after upgrade 2.2.1 -> 2.2.2

At 22:01 21.05.97 +0200, J Wunsch wrote:
>As Michael Beckmann wrote:
>
>> following an upgrade from 2.2.1 to 2.2.2, I have observed a minor problem
>> with the top utility. It truncates the the processes to 6 characters:
>
>That's because it has been prepared for eventually upcoming support of
>16-char usernames.  (It's already been in -current for some time now.)
>
>The better way would be to dynamically calculate the required size.

And then you'd have to recalculate all the time, because a new process can
be started at any time under a long User ID....

It would be nicer and if top would use the actual size of the terminal. It
truncates the process names on the right even though I have a terminal with
132 columns. Other system performance utilities like systat or vmstat don't
use the actual window size either.

Michael